Potomac Edison EV Driven FAQ
- What is the EV Driven program?
- EV Driven by Potomac Edison is making electric vehicle (EV) adoption more accessible, convenient and affordable in Maryland through an enhanced public charging network and incentives for residential and multifamily customers.
- Through EV Driven, you may be eligible for programs for a Residential Rebate or Off-Peak Rewards.
- In the Residential Rebate program, residential customers can get a $300 rebate for the purchase and installation of a qualified smart Level 2 EV charging station.
- In the Off-Peak Rewards program, you can earn 2¢ per kilowatt-hour (kWh) for net off-peak charging usage by using your smart EV charger between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. and on weekends.
- What is the Residential Rebate program?
In the Residential Rebate program, residential customers can get a $300 rebate for the purchase and installation of a qualified smart Level 2 EV charging station. Rebate applications must be submitted within 30 days of a successful installation. Your smart EV charger must be purchased and installed after December 1, 2019.
- What is the Off-Peak Rewards program?
- EV Driven offers additional rewards for using energy during off-peak hours, reducing demand on the energy grid.
- You can earn 2¢ per kWh for net off-peak charging usage by using your smart EV charger between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. and on weekends. You will receive your Off-Peak Rewards as an Amazon e-gift card with your quarterly earnings. Participating in the Off-Peak Rewards program helps decrease demand on the electric system from EV charging.
- How do I sign up for the EV Driven program?
- Can I enroll in Off-Peak Rewards if I already have an EV Charger?
Yes. If you already own an eligible EV charger (see chart below), you can still take advantage of Off-Peak Rewards and earn 2¢ per kWh for net off-peak charging usage.
- What is “net off-peak usage”? How is it calculated?
Net off-peak usage is the difference between your charging usage during off-peak hours (11 p.m. to 6 a.m. and on weekends) and on-peak hours. For example, if you use 100 kWh for EV charging during on-peak hours and 100 kWh during off-peak hours, your net off-peak usage is zero, and you’ll earn zero Off-Peak Rewards. If, however, you use 50 kWh for EV charging during on-peak hours and 150 kWh during off-peak hours, your net off-peak usage is 100 kWh, earning you $2 in Off-Peak Rewards. If your net off-peak usage is negative, you’ll simply earn zero rewards.
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible to enroll, you must meet the following requirements:
I am a current Potomac Edison residential customer in Maryland.
My EV charger is/will be connected to Wi-Fi.
I will allow Potomac Edison remote access to the usage data generated from charging my electric vehicle at home.
Rebate applications must be submitted within 30 days of a successful installation. Your smart EV charger must be purchased and installed after December 1, 2019.
- How can I schedule a charge through my charger’s mobile application?
We recommend setting up a charging schedule that starts after 11 p.m. using your charger’s mobile application to earn as much money as possible with the Off-Peak Rewards program.
- When will I receive my incentive?
- For the EV Driven - Residential Rebate program, you will receive an e-gift card via email 4-6 weeks after your enrollment is confirmed.
- For the EV Driven - Off-Peak Rewards program, you will receive an Amazon e-gift card with your quarterly earnings 4-6 weeks after the end of each quarter (March 31, June 30, Sep. 30, Dec. 31).
- Which EV chargers qualify for the program?
Please see the chart below for eligible charging equipment. Your charger must be installed and activated with Wi-Fi connectivity prior to enrollment.
Manufacturer Model Name Power Input Indoor/Outdoor ChargePoint CPH25-L25-P Plug In Indoor Only ChargePoint CPH25-L25 Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor ChargePoint CPH25-L18-P Plug In Indoor Only ChargePoint CPH25-L18 Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor ChargePoint CPH12-L12 Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor ChargePoint CPH12-L12-P Plug In Indoor Only ChargePoint CPH50-NEMA6-50-L23 Plug In/ Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor ChargePoint CPH50-NEMA 14-50-L23 Plug In/ Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor Enel X JuiceBox 32 Plug In Indoor/Outdoor Enel X JuiceBox 40 Plug In Indoor/Outdoor Enel X JuiceBox 32 Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor Enel X JuiceBox 40 Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor
- Is my JuiceBox eligible to participate?
Eligible Models include the JuiceBox 32 and the JuiceBox 40. Units sold prior to October 2018 will not be eligible to participate in the TOU program. Units sold thereafter should be eligible, but may need to receive remote firmware upgrades, if those have not been received previously. Reset your WiFi connection to ensure the latest firmware version is received. To do so, please follow the instructions for the model JuiceBox you are using.
- How can I find out more about eligible chargers?
For more information about the charging equipment list above, please visit the manufacturers’ websites.
- Who can I contact with other questions about the program?
Please reach out to email@example.com or 301-804-9321 with any additional questions.
- Do you offer rebates for apartment buildings or condos?
If you’re a multifamily property owner, click here to learn about charging rebates at your property.
- How is the EV Driven Program being funded?
Potomac Edison will seek recovery of the costs of the EV Driven Program from customers through electric service rates in a future regulatory rate review with the Maryland Public Service Commission.
- How do I purchase a Level 2 smart charger approved for the EV Driven residential rebate?
You can purchase an approved Level 2 charger directly from a manufacturer or through an online retailer.
- What are the benefits of a Level 2 smart charger?
With a Level 2 smart charger, you can charge your EV up to 6 times faster than with a standard Level 1 charger using a wall outlet, adding up to 25 miles of range per hour of charging. You can also set charging reminders, schedule charging and track energy usage right from your smart charger app. In addition, select Level 2 smart charger models allow you to manage home charging with just the sound of your voice using Amazon Alexa.
- How much does the average charger and installation cost?
The average Level 2 smart charger costs $500–$700. Installation costs can vary from $200 to $1,000, depending on your electrician and the extent of the work required.
- Who will install my charger?
A qualified independent electrician can install your Level 2 smart charger for you.
- How quickly can a Level 2 smart charger charge my EV?
This depends on the size of your EV’s battery and how depleted the battery is. An average EV can get a full charge in 4 to 6 hours using a Level 2 smart charger.
- Are these charging stations energy efficient?
Yes, the charging stations that qualify for this program are ENERGY STAR certified. Learn more here.
- What other incentives are available?
As a Potomac Edison customer, you can stack additional rebates offered by the Maryland Energy Administration on top of your EV Driven rebate. For more information, visit the MEA website.
- Why are my monthly kilowatt-hour totals different than what is displayed on my EV charger web/mobile application?
EV charger web/mobile applications record charging sessions based on the start and/or end time of a given session. The kilowatt-hour consumption associated with an individual charging session is a summation of total charging activity over the course of the session, while the EV Driven program incentives are based on the portion of charger that occurs during off-peak hours. Since your EV charger consumption can span peak/off-peak time periods, the total displayed in your web/mobile applications will often differ from your EV Driven program totals. The EV Driven program records your power consumption on a 15-minute interval basis so that you can be assured that your charging data is accounted for at the time of power consumption.