Potomac Edison EV Driven FAQ
- What is the EV Driven program?
- EV Driven by Potomac Edison is making electric vehicle (EV) adoption more accessible, convenient, and affordable in Maryland through an enhanced public charging network and incentives for residential and multifamily customers.
- Through the program, you may be eligible for potential savings through our Residential Rebate or EV-Only TOU rate offer.
- What is the Residential Rebate program?
In the Residential Rebate program, residential customers can get a $300 rebate for the purchase and installation of a qualified smart Level 2 EV charging station. Rebate applications must be submitted within 30 days of a successful installation. Your smart EV charger must be purchased and installed after December 1, 2019.
- What is the EV-Only TOU rate offer?
- Potential savings and a way to help manage the grid impact of EV charging.
- By enrolling in the EV-Only TOU rate offer, you can save 2¢ per kWh hour off the Electric Supply Charge for charging during off-peak hours. Off-peak hours are 11pm-6am Monday-Friday, holidays and weekends. All other hours are considered on-peak. Please note: If EV charging occurs during on-peak hours there will be an incremental 2¢ per kWh hour added to the Electric Supply Charge.
- If you were previously enrolled in the Off-Peak Rewards program, you may be eligible to enroll in the EV-Only TOU rate offer to continue receiving potential savings.
- How do I sign up for the EV Driven program?
- To sign up for the EV Driven Program please visit here.
- Can I enroll in the EV-Only TOU rate offer if I already have an EV Charger?
Yes. If you already own an eligible EV charger (see chart below), you can still take advantage of the offer.
- When are off-peak and on-peak hours?
Off peak hours are 11pm-6am Monday-Friday, weekends, and holidays; Holidays are New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. All other hours are considered on-peak.
- How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To enroll, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a current Potomac Edison residential customer in Maryland
- Your charger is/will be connected to Wi-Fi.
- Allow Potomac Edison remote access to the usage data generated from charging your electric vehicle at home.
- Submit your rebate application within 30 days of a successful installation. Your Smart EV charger must be purchased and installed after December 1, 2019.
- The account must be receiving service under Schedule R, which is the Company’s residential rate
- The account cannot be enrolled with an alternative Electric Supplier
- The account cannot be enrolled in net metering or community solar
- Must have a PE “My Account” login.
- Cannot be multiple metered premises linked to one account
- The account cannot have a billing type of EDI.
- How can I schedule a charge through my charger’s mobile application?
We recommend setting up a charging schedule that starts from 11pm-6am Monday-Friday.
- When will I receive my incentive or potential savings?
- For the EV Driven - Residential Rebate program, you will receive an e-gift card via email 4-6 weeks after your enrollment is confirmed.
- For the EV -Only TOU rate, any credit or charge due is applied to your utility bill monthly. Former Off-Peak Reward customers will no longer receive an e-gift card for charging during off-peak hours. It will be reflected on your monthly utility bill.
- Does my charging equipment qualify for the program?
To qualify, you must own an eligible charger listed below and it must be installed and activated with Wi-Fi connectivity prior to enrollment.
Manufacturer Model Name Power Input Indoor/Outdoor ChargePoint CPH25-L25-P Plug In Indoor Only ChargePoint CPH25-L25 Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor ChargePoint CPH25-L18-P Plug In Indoor Only ChargePoint CPH25-L18 Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor ChargePoint CPH12-L12 Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor ChargePoint CPH12-L12-P Plug In Indoor Only ChargePoint CPH50-NEMA6-50-L23 Plug In/ Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor ChargePoint CPH50-NEMA 14-50-L23 Plug In/ Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor Enel X JuiceBox 32 Plug In Indoor/Outdoor Enel X JuiceBox 40 Plug In Indoor/Outdoor Enel X JuiceBox 32 Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor Enel X JuiceBox 40 Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor Tesla-compatible Supports all Tesla-compatible chargers Plug In/ Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor
- Is my JuiceBox eligible to participate?
Eligible Models include the JuiceBox 32 and the JuiceBox 40. Units sold prior to October 2018 will not be eligible to participate in the EV-Only TOU rate offer. Units sold thereafter should be eligible, but may need to receive remote firmware upgrades, if those have not been received previously. Reset your Wi-Fi connection to ensure the latest firmware version is received. To do so, please follow the instructions for the model JuiceBox you are using.
- How can I find out more about eligible chargers?
For more information about the charging equipment list above, please visit the manufacturers’ websites.
- Where can I find the terms and conditions for this program?
You can find the program terms and conditions for the EV charger manufacturers here:
Provider Terms and Conditions ChargePoint Terms & Conditions EnelX Terms & Conditions Tesla Terms & Conditions
- Who can I contact with other questions about the program?
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-804-9321.
- Do you offer rebates for apartment buildings or condos?
If you’re a multifamily property owner, click here to learn about charging rebates at your property.
- How is the EV Driven Program being funded?
Potomac Edison will seek recovery of the costs of the EV Driven Program from customers through electric service rates in a future regulatory rate review with the Maryland Public Service Commission.
- How do I purchase a Level 2 smart charger approved for the EV Driven residential rebate?
You can purchase an approved Level 2 charger directly from a manufacturer or through an online retailer.
- What are the benefits of a Level 2 smart charger?
With a Level 2 smart charger, you can charge your EV up to 6 times faster than with a standard Level 1 charger using a wall outlet, adding up to 25 miles of range per hour of charging. You can also set charging reminders, schedule charging and track energy usage right from your smart charger app. In addition, select Level 2 smart charger models allow you to manage home charging with just the sound of your voice using Amazon Alexa.
- How much does the average charger and installation cost?
The average Level 2 smart charger costs $500–$700. Installation costs can vary from $200 to $1,000, depending on your electrician and the extent of the work required.
- Who will install my charger?
A qualified independent electrician can install your Level 2 smart charger for you.
- How quickly can a Level 2 smart charger charge my EV?
This depends on the size of your EV’s battery and how depleted the battery is. An average EV can get a full charge in 4 to 6 hours using a Level 2 smart charger.
- Are these charging stations energy efficient?
Yes, the charging stations that qualify for this program are ENERGY STAR certified. Learn more here.
- What other incentives are available?
As a Potomac Edison customer, you can stack additional rebates offered by the Maryland Energy Administration on top of your EV Driven rebate. For more information, visit the MEA website.
- Why are my monthly kilowatt-hour totals different than what is displayed on my EV charger web/mobile application?
EV charger web/mobile applications record charging sessions based on the start and/or end time of a given session. The kilowatt-hour consumption associated with an individual charging session is a summation of total charging activity over the course of the session, while the EV Driven program incentives are based on the portion of charger that occurs during off-peak hours. Since your EV charger consumption can span peak/off-peak time periods, the total displayed in your web/mobile applications will often differ from your EV Driven program totals. The EV Driven program records your power consumption on a 15-minute interval basis so that you can be assured that your charging data is accounted for at the time of power consumption.